What is Epoxy for Basement Flooring?
Epoxy flooring is made of synthetic polymers and forms a strong, plastic-like substance. Epoxy can be used to cover concrete floors, such as those found in basements of many homes. Epoxy floors can be used to cover concrete foundations that have been damaged or are not in good condition. They can also create smooth surfaces.
Epoxy coatings can be set once they are dry. Epoxy coatings can withstand many years of usage and are resistant to chemicals. This makes epoxy the best choice for basement renovations. Let’s look at each feature individually to fully understand the advantages of epoxy flooring for basements.
Benefits of epoxy floors for your basement
Here are some great benefits to epoxy flooring in your basement.
- It is waterproof and resistant to mold – If your basement is always humid, water can seep into walls and floors and cause mold growth. Epoxy coating basement floors adds protection by creating a protective top layer.
- Resistant to chemicals, oils and hot tires – You might have noticed epoxy floors in an auto body shop. Epoxy floors are resistant to chemicals, oil, gasoline, hot tires, and other substances. They are ideal for garages or other areas where liquids tend to spill. Epoxy floors can also be heated resistant so they won’t melt if a hot car tire is placed on top. Your tires can pick up solvents as you drive your car. The epoxy coating can be removed by heat and solvents if it isn’t applied correctly.
- Efficient and easy to maintain – Epoxy floors are waterproof which makes it easier to clean up spillages or puddles. The epoxy coating protects concrete from dirt, water and dust, making it easy to mop or vacuum your floors.
- Epoxy floors are durable and strong. They can also be slip-resistant. – Epoxy floors are durable and can last for up to 20 years with proper care. If your epoxy floor’s coating becomes yellowed or cloudy, it is likely near the end of its useful life. Experts can apply the topcoat again and grind it if necessary.
- This adds a stunning finish – Epoxy is strong and water-resistant, yet it can also be beautiful on your basement floor. Epoxy coatings are available in a variety of colors, designs and textures.
- A stress-free process – Hiring a professional coating company will ensure that you get industrial-grade solutions and are free from all the hassles. You might be tempted to buy cheap epoxy coating kits at home. Do you really understand the risks involved in doing it yourself? Experts are needed to make sure that epoxy cures quickly. You’ll have a lot of problems if something goes wrong during the 24-hour cure process.
- It is moderately priced – Epoxy floors are less expensive than new flooring like wood or tile. Below, we will discuss the average price of epoxy floors.
There are many reasons homeowners should consider epoxy coatings for their homes. ArmorPoxy is the largest distributor of high-performance coatings for residential and commercial purposes. Give us a call to talk to one of our flooring specialists who will help you choose the right product.